Standards of behaviour and conduct at Selston High School are high. The clearest way of summarising our behaviour code is around the principle of Respect.
Respect for learning
- Ensure your behaviour allows the teacher to teach and students to focus on learning.
- Be prepared for learning, bringing equipment and completing homework.
- Work to the best of your ability and demonstrate that you value learning and wish to make progress.
- Be on time and be present for learning.
- Do not use your phone in school during the school day.
Respect for others
- Be polite and courteous to staff and students, using positive appropriate language at all times.
- Respect people’s personal space and privacy of belongings – do not touch people or things without permission.
- Respect people’s rights not to be teased or bullied and do the right thing reporting any behaviour that violates others’ rights.
- Respect people’s uniqueness and differences and value everyone who is part of our school community.
Respect for the school
- Respect school staff and cooperate with them in lessons and outside of class.
- Wear the school uniform with pride.
- Ensure your behaviour contributes positively to the school’s reputation both in school and the community.
Respect the environment and school resources at all times.
- Strive to be the best you can be.
- Our expectations are further summarised in a code of learning taken from the ‘Home School Agreement’ agreed by all students, parents, staff and Governors.
- Follow the school dress code and wear the uniform as it is intended and set the best example I can.
- Show a positive attitude to learning in lessons and do all classwork/homework to the best of my ability.
- Attend school regularly, on time, properly equipped with all the necessary books, files, pens, etc.
- Care for others by being helpful and supportive.
- Do the right thing when the situation requires it: to avoid conflict at all times and actively report bullying, discrimination or behaviour which undermines the values of the school.
- Seek help from staff or peers, at an appropriate time, whenever problems occur, especially if I am unhappy for any reason.
- Meet all deadlines for the handing in of work.
- Show good manners, respect and politeness to all.
- Show respect for the school building/grounds and play my part in establishing a litter free environment.
- Avoid any activity which will cause harm, hurt, distress or unhappiness to any other student or member of staff.
- Avoid any language or behaviour which is prejudiced or discriminatory.
If the school feels that a student has broken the behaviour code or has shown a lack of respect for the values of Selston High School, we will use the behaviour policy to impose sanctions. In this case, we expect to work in partnership with families when sanctions are imposed to secure a swift return to lessons and to send a clear corrective message to the student involved.
Please click here for our policies